Come celebrate the heritages!
Drawing visitors and vendors from throughout the Northeast US for over a quarter century, Scandinavian Fest is the largest all-Nordic festival in the US. A true Nordic-only event, ScanFest is a heritage festival to celebrate and promote the cultures, traditions, and current life of the Nordic regions & peoples of Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Iceland, Norway, and Sweden with wide variety of traditional foods (as well as customary festival fare for the less adventurous) plus a wide variety of handcraft items and imported gifts by over 50 vendors. Five stages of continuous entertainment throughout the day feature music & dance ranging from traditional Nordic folk to classical to jazz to contemporary world music by a variety of accomplished and exceptional emerging talent. There's even a separate stage and a special activities area for kids, as well as a field arena and combat/contest area. All that, plus demonstrators, encampments, Norse combat, Viking ships, talks, demos, handcrafts, and much more.
Those interested in learning more about their Nordic heritage and anyone curious about things Scandinavian are invited to sample what's at ScanFest: good food, good works, good shows, good people, and good times. The Fest is held on the Sunday of (US) Labor Day weekend, which will be Sunday, September 1 in 2013, from 10 AM to 6 PM. The current schedule, flyers with discount admission, list of vendors, entertainers, and advanced sale tickets can be found on the website. Every member of the family will love this remarkable event. All ages attend.
There's an advanced sale price of $11 for tix before Aug 31, '12. At the gate is $14, Seniors $13. There's also a flyer to download from the website with a $13 admission coupon to bring. You can get discount tickets here. Admission is FREE to those wearing authentic Nordic regional folkdress …. and FREE for children 12 and under.
ScanFest welcomes food and craft / gift vendors with a Nordic theme, entertainers, performers/presenters/reenactors with a Scandinavian theme and encourages other Nordic organizations to participate at the info tents. There's info and application forms on the website for that. If you or your organization would like to participate as a vendor, exhibitor, demonstrating artisan, entertainer, reenactor… check the website for info or email.
The event is held at the NJ Vasa Park, 1 Wolfe Road, Budd Lake, NJ, 07828. It's an easy day-trip from most Northeast locations. Simply take I-80 Westbound in NJ to X-26 onto US Route 46 WEST (twd. Hackettstown). Follow US46 West for 3 miles to the first traffic light after Budd Lake at Wolfe Road. Left onto Wolfe Road & 1/4 mile to Vasa Park on the right.
- From NYC & No.Jersey: GWBridge or I-280 to I-80West. X-26off I-80W then as above.
- From Long Island & Staten Island: NY/NJ 440 W from Verazzano & Outer- bridge Crossing & past the GS Pkwy & NJ Tpk. NJ 440 W becomes I-287 N. I-287 N about 20 mi to exit for US 206 North (just AFTER the exit for I-78). US 206 N 10 mi (thru Chester) to I-80 W. FIRST exit, #26, off I-80 W then as above.
- From Philly & So. Jersey: PA Turnpike/NJ Turnpike (X-10) or GS Pkwy (X-127) to NJ440W/I-287N. NJ 440 W becomes I-287 N. Use I-287 North to US 206 North (just AFTER the exit for I-78). US 206 N 10 mi to I-80 W then as above.
- From Eastern PA: US 202 or I-295/206 N to Somerville, NJ. Then US 206 N 10 mi to I-80 W then as above.
- From the Poconos & Del.W.Gap: I-80 East to X-27(!). At exit, keep left & return BACK onto I-80 West. X-26 off I-80 W then as above.
- From the Lehigh Valley: I-78/US22 East thru Phillipsburg to NJ57. NJ57 thru Washington to Hackettstown. In Hackettstown, US 46 East 3 mi to the light at Wolfe Rd. Right onto Wolfe Road.
ScanFest is produced by Scandinavian Fest, Inc., an independent, NJ non-profit educational corporation with 501(c)3 status. It’s neither a fundraiser for nor an affiliate of any organization but exists solely to celebrate the traditions. Excepting hired set-up labor, ScanFest is organized and staffed entirely by volunteers. We welcome volunteers!
25 Feb 2013, 12:55
24 Feb 2013, 17:53
18 Sep 2011, 14:13
02 Aug 2011, 06:56