The 18th Mansion in May at Alnwick Hall - The Abbey will be open to the public for just one month, featuring the design inspirations of over 60 of the area’s top interior and landscape designers.
Alnwick Hall, known today as The Abbey, was completed in 1904 as the residence of Edward and Rosalie Behr Meany. Edward Peter Meany was an attorney and businessman whose many endeavors ranged from railway and telegraph line construction to serving on several corporate boards and governmental bodies to playing a significant role in the expansion of the thenemerging telephone industry as general counsel for the American Telephone and Telegraph Company. Rosalie Meany is credited with giving Alnwick Hall its distinctive cultural identity in the social life of Morristown.
The Meanys were known for hosting annual festive musicales in the mansion’s grand ballroom featuring members of the Metropolitan Opera orchestra and such international musical stars as violinist Efrem Zimbalist. With attendees comprising the top tier of area society, these elegant events were often catered by the famed Delmonico’s restaurant of New York City.
Named for Alnwick Castle in Northumberland, England, the imposing 20,000-square-foot, orange-colored brick and stone mansion with terra cotta ornamentation and crenellated parapets was loosely modeled after various fifteenth- and sixteenth-century English prototypes. New York City architect Percy Griffin was retained to design the Meanys’ country mansion featuring elegant Heinigke & Bowen stained glass windows, fine wood-trim carvings, elaborately sculpted plaster, numerous fireplaces and an intricately carved oak main staircase.
Alnwick Hall is a now-rare and largely unaltered survivor of “Millionaire’s Row”: Madison Avenue (Route 124) between Morristown and Madison. During the area’s Gilded Age, this stretch of road was lined by a nearly unbroken series of large and elegant estate houses. It was also called “the street of the 100 millionaires” and “the finest four miles in the world.” Notable neighbors included Florence Vanderbilt and Hamilton McKown Twombly of “Florham” (now Fairleigh Dickinson), Geraldine Rockefeller and Marcellus Hartley Dodge Sr. of “Giralda” in Madison, and Addie Wolff and Otto Hermann Kahn of “Cedar Court” (now Honeywell). For 31 days in May, the doors of Alnwick Hall – The Abbey will be open for the public to experience the opulent splendor of the Gilded Age during Mansion in May 2017, presented by the Women’s Association for Morristown Medical Center.
Funds raised by Mansion in May 2017 Alnwick Hall - The Abbey will go toward the establishment of the Center for Nursing Innovation and Research at Morristown Medical Center. This center will be a place to spark ideas for creative projects by MMC nurses to improve the health of our patients as well as unlock the power of continuous innovation to change practice.
Morristown Medical Center will proudly celebrate 125 years of community and healthcare in 2017. The Women's Association is honored to be an historic partner in this remarkable milestone!
The self-guided tour is approximately 1.5 - 2 hours long.
Hours: 10 am - 3 pm, every day in May, Last ticket sold at 3 pm
Advance Ticket Sales $40 per person: February 1 – April 30
Regular Ticket Sales $50 per person: May 1 – May 31
No parking is available at the mansion (355 Madison Avenue), but free shuttle service will run between the off-site parking and the mansion. Off-site parking is available at 170 Park Avenue in Florham Park, NJ 07932
For more information check the website, or call 973/971-8800.
In the late 1800s, Myra Brookfield bequeathed her Morristown
home and property, on DeHart Street, for the establishment of a local hospital.
Her gift was not unconditional; she challenged the local community to raise
an additional $15,000, within three years, to provide equipment and furnishings
for the facility. As is the case with most "matching grants",
the money did not simply appear; someone had to beat the bushes. In this case,
that person was Augusta Stone, who assumed responsibility for making the urgent
appeals required for residents to subscribe to the fundraising effort. With
six weeks to spare, Ms. Stone reached her goal, and a certificate of incorporation
for Morristown Memorial Hospital was executed in November, 1892. To ensure
that community support would continue, the Women's Association of Morristown
Memorial Hospital was formally established four months later, in March, 1893.
Today, both Brookfield's generosity and Stone's tireless determination are
memorialized: the Brookfield
Society coordinates estate gift-giving, and the annual Augusta Stone Award
celebrates outstanding individual volunteer service. And, through their service
with the Association, generations of women have since assured world-class health
care for New Jerseyans; raising money for buildings, purchasing the first ambulance,
underwriting training for nurses, and funding charity care.
Morristown Memorial has thrived, and to reflect the system's expansive breadth of top-rated specialty care, its name was changed to Morristown Medical Center in May, 2011. Support from the Women's Association for Morristown Medical Center (WAMMC) remains essential, providing more than $700,000 annually for the center, income generated from a very successful thrift shop, three hospital gift stores—and fundraising, ever flourishing in creativity and scope. Since 1974, the organization's signature event, The Mansion in May, has transformed seventeen of the most elegant and historic estate homes and mansions in Morris and Somerset Counties into breathtaking designer showhouses that have delighted thousands of visitors over the years. This premier month-long event has raised over ten million dollars in support of The Gagnon Heart Institute, Goryeb Children's Hospital, the Carol Simon Cancer Center, the Emergency Department, an Inpatient Hospice and Palliative Care Center and other departments at Morristown Medical Center. Proceeds from this year's eighteenth showcase will be directed toward the creation of a Center for Nursing Innovation and Research.
The Jacobus Vanderveer house is the only surviving building associated with the Pluckemin encampment.
Just off the old, now-vanished, Ledgewood Circle, a stone's throw from the mall, the Drakesville Historic Park pays tribute to Morris County's pedigree of innovative pioneers.
The Raptor Trust is one of the premier wild bird rehabilitation centers in the United States.
For the formative steps in a guide dog's youth, The Seeing Eye relies on a network of Puppy Raisers throughout New Jersey and eastern Pennsylvania who participate in a program that began in 1942 as a joint effort with 4-H Youth Development.