Mohican Outdoor Center
The Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area is now home to the Appalachian Mountain Club's southernmost facility. The Mohican Outdoor Center is nestled between two ridges of the Appalachian Mountains on the banks of Catfish Pond near Blairstown, with the Appalachian Trail running just east of the camp. Opportunities abound for hiking, biking, swimming, canoeing, rock climbing, and bird-watching, as well as for cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and ice-skating in winter. Recreational and educational programs are available for both AMC members and non-members, including workshops on birding, backpacking, leadership training, fitness, writing, mushrooms and astronomy. Mohican also provides a base of operations for a wide range of trail work projects carried out by AMC in cooperation with the National Park Service.
Once a boy-scout camp, the facility currently has several lodges that can accommodate a range of guests from three to sixteen. Cabins and lodges are open year round — some are winterized and include heat and water. Most cabins have bathrooms with flush toilets and showers, and, if cabin or lodge does not have running water, accommodations are in separate buildings nearby. Group space is also available (by reservation) in the boathouse, which looks over a pristine lake as well as the dining hall. Several campsites are located within the camp, including lake view sites, and private tent sites. Bigger groups can use the large group campsite. Reserving the whole camp is a possibility; this includes all cabins, lodges, private camp sites, dining hall, and boathouse. Great for weddings or reunions!
Consider becoming a member of AMC for a number of benefits including discounted rates, and hundreds of local chapter outdoor recreational programs at little or no cost. For reservations please call 603-466-2727. For information about the camp please call 908-362-5670 or check the website.
- May 13-May 15 • MOHICAN SAMPLER MIDWEEK GETAWAY. Three days of hiking and other outdoor activities in the beautiful New Jersey portion of the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. If you haven't visited or stayed at Mohican, this is a great chance to experience it with fellow outdoor enthusiasts. $179, $149 member.
- May 30-June 1 • 20 + SOLO TRAVELER WEEKEND GETAWAY. Join us for a fun and exploratory weekend. Enjoy the beautiful scenery while hiking and exploring the surrounding areas. Perfect for those young adventurous individuals. Participants will have the opportunity to view well-known historic sites, paddle around Catfish Pond, and relax with a good book. $179, $149 member.
- July 8-July 10 • FAMILY ADVENTURE MIDWEEK GETAWAY. Looking for something different to do with the kids? Let your kids experience Mohican Outdoor Center in the summer. This getaway is targeted for families with kids ages 6-14 and their parents. There will be multiple things for you to do as a family, crafts, games, nature study, guided hikes, boating, swimming in a lake and folk dancing. Kids stay and eat for Free! $179, $149 member.
- July 18-July 20 • DARK SKIES ASTRONOMY WEEKEND. Stars and Woods at Mohican with Douglas Arion, Professor of Physics and Astronomy at Carthage College and President of Galileoscope . The agenda for this weekend of studying the stars will be flexible and weather dependent. If it looks clear there will be a variety of telescopes for viewing the night sky. If it ends up being cloudy, there will be different presentations and workshops arranged. $179, $149 member.
- August 6-August 8 • HEALTH & WELLNESS MIDWEEK GETAWAY. Join us for Tai Chi Easy, hiking, relaxing, and a discussion on making healthy food choices. Tai Chi Easy is a simple form of Tai Chi that emphasizes gentle movement, meditation, breathing, and self-massage. No experience is necessary. $179, $149 member.
- August 15-August 17 • MUSHROOM GETAWAY WEEKEND. Join Paul Sadowski, an expert from the New York Mycological Society, for a weekend exploring the fascinating diversity of mushrooms to be found in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area. We’ll do several hikes to different destinations near Mohican that offer particularly unique varieties. $179, $149 member.
- September 16-September 18 • FALL HAWK WATCH MIDWEEK GETAWAY. Join us for some hiking, paddling and relaxing at Mohican. We will definitely hike out to Raccoon Ridge a popular viewing spot along the Kittatinny Ridge to enjoy this peak time of year to watch the raptors as they migrate south $179, $149 member.
- October 10-October 12 • DELAWARE WATER GAP AUTUMN WANDERINGS WEEKEND. $179, $149 member.
25 Aug 2012, 08:31
20 Mar 2011, 13:35
02 Jun 2010, 08:18
29 Oct 2008, 10:16
02 May 2008, 15:37